This job is no longer accepting applications.
WE ARE HIRING
Research Assistant – Haematology/Leukaemia Research
This is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious research assistant to join the group of Professor George Vassiliou at the Cyprus Cancer Research Institute (CCRI). The role will interact with Professor Vassiliou’s team at the University of Cambridge, UK.
The CCRI is a newly founded not-for-profit organisation based in Nicosia, Cyprus that aspires to become a world-class interdisciplinary research institute operating within a network of leading clinical and academic partners, namely the University of Cyprus (UCY), the Karaiskakio Foundation (KF) and the Bank of Cyprus Oncology Centre (BOCOC). The CCRI promotes excellence in the field of cancer research and in the development and utilisation of innovative diagnostic and therapeutic approaches with the aim of improving the survival and quality of life of patients with cancer. Our mission is to promote high calibre cancer research in Cyprus and to breed the next generation of leading cancer researchers.
Reports To: The post holder will report to the Deputy Group Leader and to Professor George Vassiliou (Group Leader) Job Overview The successful applicant will carry out scientific research in the field of haematological malignancy and pre-malignancy under the supervision of Professor Vassiliou.
George Vassiliou is Professor of Haematological Medicine at the University of Cambridge and his UK- based group, at the Cambridge Stem Cell Institute (https://www.stemcells.cam.ac.uk/people/pi/vassiliou), is working at the forefront of research into the preclinical evolution, molecular pathogenesis and genetic vulnerabilities of acute myeloid leukaemia (AML) and related cancers. Their research is strongly translational and aims to develop novel therapies and early detection strategies for myeloid cancers.
Professor Vassiliou’s CCRI-based team (International Team Haematology) will interact closely, hold joint science meetings, and have reciprocal research placements with the Cambridge team, as required by individual projects.
- Participate in the laboratory’s day-to-day activities, projects, meetings and procedures.
- Perform experiments as required by the Group Leader and Deputy Group Leader
- Keep appropriate experimental records and documentation.
- Participate in the generation of scientific reports
- Hold regular meetings with the Deputy Group Leader to present & analyse results.
- Procure and maintain stocks of experimental reagents/materials, and keep a lab inventory
- Operate and maintain equipment and instruments.
- Work closely with other CCRI scientists to conduct collaborative research, share ideas and find solutions to scientific problems.
- Bachelor’s degree in Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Cancer Research or a related field.
- A Master’s degree in a related field will be considered an advantage
Specialist knowledge and skills:
- Research laboratory experience in a relevant field
- Expertise in haematology, cancer research, epigenetics or genetic screening will be an asset.
- Good understanding of the biology of normal and malignant haematopoietic stem cells.
- Experience in grant and manuscript writing.
- Enthusiasm, honesty, integrity, adaptability, dedication and hard-working ethos.
- Ability to think critically, work independently and communicate ideas.
- Ability to work in a team and value others.
Fluency in English is essential. Fluency in Greek will be an advantage.
Employment Type: Fixed Term Contract for 6 years in total (4 + 2 years after successful evaluation) with the possibility of further extension.
Location: Nicosia, Cyprus
Remuneration: The annual gross salary is €18,000
Closing Date: 14th November 2021
All applicants should:
1. Submit a Curriculum Vitae (CV).
2. Submit a Cover letter where they will state the date when he/she may be able to assume duties in the event of selection.
3. Shortlisted candidates may be asked to submit contact details for the provision of References.
All applications should be submitted via email at email@example.com mentioning the job position code: CCRI_21_JP-2103 with email Subject: “Application [full name] for the position code CCRI_21_JP-2103”
Applicants will receive a confirmation email after their application submission with a unique reference number.
Cyprus Cancer Research Institute (C.C.R.I.)
1 University Avenue, 2109 Aglantzia, Nicosia, Cyprus
Tel.: +357 22 894376
Informal enquiries about the research project are welcomed and should be addressed to Professor George Vassiliou (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Promoting high caliber cancer research in Cyprus and educating the next generation of cancer research scientists