This job is no longer accepting applications.
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Scientific Director of the Cyprus Cancer Research Institute (CCRI)
The Cyprus Cancer Research Institute (C.C.R.I.), a Non-For-Profit organization, based in Nicosia, Cyprus, is anticipated to be a world-class interdisciplinary research institute that will operate within a network of leading clinical and academic partners namely the University of Cyprus (UCY), the Karaiskakio Foundation (KF) and the Bank of Cyprus Oncology Centre (BOCOC), aiming to promote excellence in the field of cancer research and in the development and utilization of innovative diagnostic and therapeutic systems to challenge this devastating disease. The Institute will bring together leading scientists working across different areas of biology and medical sciences to develop an internationally competitive program of research aiming to improve the current understanding on cancer pathogenesis and develop novel therapeutic approaches against different cancers.
With a mission to promote high calibre Cancer Research in Cyprus and to breed the next generation of Cancer Research scientists, the CCRI is looking to hire the Institute’s Scientific Director who will be responsible for the direction and management of the Institute.
The Scientific Director will mainly be responsible for the design and implementation of the CCRI Strategic Research Plan.
The Scientific Director will also receive annual funding to lead his/her own research program/group.
The position of the CCRI Scientific Director, based in Nicosia (Cyprus), is open to local and/or foreign applicants.
The text of this Call for Applications can be found in the below pdf file.
Applications must be submitted before June 17th, 2022
For any information relating to the position, please contact the CCRI’s HR Department via email or phone at the below contact details.
Tel.: +357 22 894376
Responsibilities and Duties
The Scientific Director
• Exerts leadership in the research, educational and administration functions of the Institute.
• In collaboration with the Board of Directors and the senior management, develops the vision and mission of the Institute, promotes them and oversees their effective implementation.
• Leads, develops and implements the Institute’s short and long-term research strategy and plan.
• Heads the Institute, provides scientific leadership and assumes full responsibility of the development and promotion of state-of-the-art research activities and innovation.
• Investigates and identifies research funding opportunities and leads funding applications at national and international level to support the entire CCRI’s activities.
• Leads his/her own research program/team.
• Carries final responsibility for, and acts as custodian of, the Institute’s laboratories, equipment, and other research infrastructure. Oversees the installation and implementation of robust operational management systems.
• Assesses research activities and associated risks to the Institute, ensuring they are monitored and minimized.
• Develops collaborations and networking with local and international academic and other institutions to broaden the depth and breadth of activities of the Institute.
• In collaboration with the International Scientific Advisory Board, he/she evaluates the work of research leaders within the Institute, in order to ensure the provision of efficient, high quality and timely deliverables.
• Oversees the training and supervision of post-doctoral trainees, graduate students, and junior scientists in the Institute and helps the professional growth of the research group leaders.
• Oversees Health and Safety practices at the Institute.
• Presents or otherwise communicates the research conducted by the Institute to external stakeholders including the academic community, health professionals, patients’ advocates, political decision makers and the public at large.
• Collaborates with the Operational Director and other senior staff to establish and monitor key performance indicators (KPIs) designed to measure institutional progress toward strategic goals and objectives
Education level: PhD in any Biological Science, Medicine or associated fields.
The Scientific Director should have:
• Extensive experience in cancer research.
• A strong vision and demonstrated readiness to lead the CCRI into pioneering the development of cancer research and technology capacity building.
• Previous experience in institutional building in cancer research and/or management of projects from development to implementation.
• Excellent interpersonal skills in networking in academic circles and in raising research support.
• Extensive university work or work of equal value (i.e. work at a research centre) after the award of the doctoral title.
• Sufficient managerial experience in a research environment.
• Supervision and successful completion of research and impact of research results.
• Track record of training successful scientists at doctoral and postdoctoral level.
• Extensive experience in successfully leading multiplayer research groups and effectively managing the execution of large research projects in a collaborative team environment.
• Previously demonstrated significant scientific leadership.
• Outstanding peer-reviewed publication record as lead/corresponding author.
• A track record of attracting competitive funding for research projects, as a Project leader.
• Previous international success in coordinating independent research teams.
• Leadership and management skills.
Fluency in English is essential while fluency in Greek will be considered as an advantage, but is not required.
Personal characteristics: Excellent interpersonal skills, Team Player, High level of confidentiality, Critical thinking, Motivated, Devoted, Ethical.
Employment Type and Compensation:
Employment Contract: The position of CCRI Scientific Director is on a Full-time basis.
A five (5) years contract will be offered initially to the successful candidate with the possibility of extending this contract following review of the progress made.
The Director should be available to assume duties the latest by January 2023. Otherwise, any alternative dates should be clearly stated in the application.
• A competitive annual compensation in the range of €100.000 - €110.000 will be offered to the successful candidate based on experience and qualifications.
• The Scientific Director will also have the opportunity to secure additional remuneration (up to 75%) through a regulated salary augmentation plan, through externally secured research funding, that will include the option to equally contribute external salary funds towards the researchers’ own salary and the institute’s research fund.
• In addition, the Scientific Director will receive funding of the amount of €260.000 annually for his/her own research group/program.
Relocation package: A Relocation package is offered to the successful candidate in the case that she/he will have to relocate to Cyprus from abroad. This includes
• Air Ticket (economy class) to Cyprus.
• Rent allowance for a period of (3) three months.
• Rental Car for a period of (3) three months.
Submission of Applications:
Deadline: The deadline for the submission of applications is 17 June 2022.
Application Procedure: All applications should be submitted in English and should include:
1. A Curriculum Vitae (CV) accompanied by a cover letter where they will state the date when he/she may be able to assume duties in the event of selection.
2. A summary of previous research work and a statement of plans for future research and scientific leadership at the CCRI (up to 1500 words).
3. A list of publications provided as an annex.
4. A list of competitive funding successfully granted projects provided as an annex.
5. The names and e-mails of (3) three referees (academics/researchers), who will be notified to provide recommendation letters, before the candidate’s interview. (This will apply only for shortlisted candidates).
All applications should be submitted via email at email@example.com with email Subject: CCRI Scientific Director position.
All applicants will receive a confirmation email after their application submission with a unique reference number.
For any information relating to the position, please contact the CCRI’s HR Department via email or phone at below contact details.
Your inquiry will be redirected to the relevant members of the CCRI to be promptly answered.
Tel.: +357 22 894376
All Applications will be treated as Strictly Confidential!
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Promoting high caliber cancer research in Cyprus and educating the next generation of cancer research scientists